Today I want to talk about alternatives for the regular wheat pasta. Not that there is anything wrong with regular pasta but some of you eat diets that require a little higher protein content – For you these might be the next superfood you need to your weekly grocery shopping.
I recently found 3 kinds of high protein pasta at my local grocery store made from beans, chickpeas and red lentils. Although they look quite different from your regular noodles I found out that not only are they super nutrituous, but they taste quite good! 🙂
Black Bean Spaghetti
Out of my collection this black pean pasta has the ome with the highest protein content of 42%! This is super high protein and have fantasic 19g Fiber per 100g! Although looking kind of odd, they taste absolutley amazing, I really like their texture. Being made from black beans they have numerous health benefits:
- They keep you feeling satisfied for a long time, by regulating blood sugar levels!
- They contain lots of soluble fiber, which has been proven to help lower blood cholesterol!
- Black beans have been shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer!
Although being the most expensive, coming at 1,99€ for 200g, these noodles have become a new must have on my weekly grocery list!
Red Lentil Spirelli
These red lentil noodles come with an amazing protein content of 23g which is about the same as beef! They definetly have a lentil flavor, but with a sauce or some pesto you won’t notice it too much.
- Lentils have been shown to help with weight loss.
- Lentils give you loads of energy throughout the day due to their fiber and complex carbohydrates.
- Studies have shown to lower risk of death from heart disease is drastically lowered with regular consumption of legumes.
These come with 20% protein and have a more neutral taste than their red lentil counterpart – They taste quite amazing with pasta sauce. Benefits of these are:
- They help with digestion since they are loaded with fiber!
- Their high fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B-6 content support heart health.
- They also have been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels.